Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Living with the Leaf... The 3 month repot

I took delivery of my Nissan Leaf SL on December 23, 2011.  This puts me right about the 6 month point as of this writing.  While it generally is just a car, there have been some lifestyle changes that go along with owning it. 

To begin with, I need to answer why I choose to buy it.  It is not the cheapest car in the world, nor will it ever pay for itself in simple fuel savings.  I am an early adopter kind of person.  Sometimes I have to make a point of where I stand on issues by using my powers as a consumer to promote technologies to advance them for the masses.  This started way back in 1984 when I first bought my Commodore 64 computer and sold the idea of its usefulness to the people I knew.  It happened again in the mid-1990’s when I promoted the Internet to all of those around me.  And I am doing this again with the Leaf.

But since those early days of youth, I now have children. I want to show my children that there are better ways of doing things then the same old tried and tiered ways.  My daughter Becca has asked a few times about the Leaf and why I bought it.  I have explained that it doesn’t pollute, doesn’t smell, and doesn’t make noise like other cars.  She has become keenly aware of these factors compared to a lot of other vehicles on the road.  I think it’s important for parents to set good examples for their children, beyond moral and ethical lines.  I can only hope that she sees this example and tries to make the world a better place as she grows up.
In addition to the saving gasoline, these are the reasons why I bought it.  I also decided to get vanity plates so people know what kind of vehicle I have.  My plates read, NO OIL.  And this has gotten the attention of a few people while out and about.  A lot of people are impressed that the car doesn't use gas.  Sometimes they say it, but a lot of times they have the look like they are seeing the future of driving.  I think they know that the gasoline engine is a thing of the past.

So after 6 months and 6500 miles, I think I am as satisfied as I could be with a car.  I have adjusted to my driving style.  I don't accelerate to a red light, I generally drive the speed limit or a little slower.  The areas that I drive typically have a speed limit of less then 55 MPH.  This is right in the best area where the Leaf gets the best mileage.  I also take my foot off the accelerator when going down-hill and approaching a red light.  I also turn off the climate control when I can.  Rolling down the window works fine most of the time.  I know I'll use the AC in the summer, but for now, it's working fine. 


I can't recommend the Leaf to everyone, but if your commute is less than 30 miles each way, you should consider an electric car.  I'm glad that I've saved a lot of gasoline and I think it's done some good for my kids.  Becca gets the idea that gasoline vehicles are 'Yucky!'.

No comments: