Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Wrecking Ball

The latest Springsteen CD is out!  Maybe I've been waiting for something new to listen to for a while, but I like it!  It's not Born to Run or anything like that.  This is a CD with the perspective of a mature person going through tough times. There are 11 songs on the CD.  The title track "Wrecking Ball" and "Land of Hope and Dreams" have been performed on tour.  Do there are 9 new songs.  Of these I really want to hear 5 of them.  A quick run down of the songs and my thoughts:
1 We Take Care of Our Own
This kicks off the CD and should be thought of in context as it doesn't really stand on its own.  But that being said its a strong song to kick things off.
2 Easy Money
I like this song as its an interesting view point about a couple that tries to have a regular life, but his job is robbing people with his wife.  It seems the only way he can make living.
3 Shackled and Drawn
My favorite song on the disc.  I think one of the most interesting parts if the way the lyrics are laid out.  A lyric finishes a line, and that phrase starts the next line.  I also like the beat and flow of the music.
4 Jack of All Trades
This song reminds me og the handyman I have hired a lot, Gary.  Gary has told of how he use to have plans that he would start his company, but by this time would have just been running it.  Instead he has to do most of the jobs, because he is a Jack of All Trades.
5 Death to My Hometown
Great Irish folk song! And Becca likes it a lot too.  This is about what happens when companies suck the life out of your town and then leaves it with nothing.
6 This Depression
The character in this song is depressed.  He is in a position in life where he can't find a way out, but knows that he has to keep struggling on.
7 Wrecking Ball
Originally done to close out Giants Stadium, its now a message of vigilance against the hard times.  People will be strong, dust off and come out fighting.
8 You've Got It
The romantic song on the disc.  After all the depressing songs, this is about the woman who gives you the strength to through all of this and want to come out on the other side.
9 Rocky Ground
Gospel and a touch of hip-hop. I like that Bruce is taking us in a different direction.  I kind of think this song is directed to the President and all of the people that had hope when he came into office who have lost confidence.
10 Land of Hope and Dreams
Done over 250 times in concert, it kind of takes a similar position on the CD.  It lifts us up before we leave.
11 We Are Alive
An interesting song about how we stand together even after we die.  And we meaning the ones who go through hard times and pay the ultimate sacrifice.

There are plenty of detailed reviews out there and I've seen reviews anywhere from 2/5 to 5/5.  I would give this CD a 4/5.  Thinking about Bruce's work in the past 10 years, I have to say I'm proud to be a fan after all this time.

No comments: